Thursday, April 14, 2011

Raffi's big day

Today was Raffi's BIG DAY! She had a date with the Dapper Dog Beauty Salon. Every 10 weeks she has to go and get a hair cut, spa bath, manicure, groom - it's sounding pretty good so far isn't it? - and get her anal glands squeezed - OUCH!
Raffi enthusiastically leapt into the car not knowing what fate await her. The husband who helps at the salon is lovely but his wife has both Raffi and I shaking in our boots. Raffi knew she was in for it the moment I led her through the door. She turned around and was headed out straight away. Too late! The wife grabbed her lead and hauled her through in to the enclosure. Raffi sat down in protest and was dragged across the floor, her bum creating a skid mark through the sawdust. She looked back at me frantically as if to say, "Mum! Don't leave me here....pleeeeaaaaase!!" Feeling an absolute cad I said goodbye and walked out the door.
At 3pm when it was time for me to pick Raffi up it was my turn to be worried. I had to face the wife! My daughter refuses point blank to take Raffi anymore after the interrogation she got from the wife. Talk about Nazi intimidation techniques! Last time I went she started on at me. "Is this your dog?" she said accusingly.
"No!" I lied instantly. "It's my daughter's."
"How often do you bath her?"
"What my daughter?"
She gave me a withering look that said - don't be cute with me or I'll rip your heart out!
"Raffi gets bathed every week," I stammered.
"I can't get the knots out of her ears!"
"Maybe that's because we take her to the beach."
"Bishon and beach don't mix!"
"But she loves the beach....." I tapered off as she gave me her 'are you arguing with me look?'
This time I was ready for her. I was not going to be intimidated and made to feel like a naughty school girl. Raffi was ecstatic when I walked in and practically leapt out of the enclosure.
"That's $66," said the wife with a smile.
"Has it gone up?" I asked innocently.
"It was hard combing out her ears and head," she replied willing me to protest because that would give her the opportunity to lay into me again. I gulped and paid up but I wasn't going to get off so easily.
I was headed to the door when she said, "She's very thin."
Shall I tell her that Raffi is a free feeder who eats as much as she wants or shall I just go home, I thought. I left forgetting to make the next appointment - shall I go back or just let Raffi become a hairy monster?

No comments:

Post a Comment