Sunday, April 10, 2011

WA Opera's Tosca

I have decided that this blog I will keep for my personal activities and thoughts and have started another blog for my travel blogs. I fyou want to continue to read about Bhutan (and lots of my other adventures) then you need to log in to http://auntieflotravels.blogspot.com
If you want to read about my life then you need to follow this blog.
Last night I went with a group of friends to His Majesty's Theatre in Perth for the WA Opera's performance of 'Tosca'. As usual we had a meal in the theatre's restaurant before the show. I was rather disappointed in the menu, as it had 3 out of the 6 options as vegetarian meals. I considered just having soup and a dessert but as the fish of the day was reasonably priced opted for that instead. One of my friends didn't like hers very much as she found it too bland - even after dousing it liberally with salt and peper - so I ate hers too!
I usually quite enjoy the WA Opera. They don't do a bad job, although can't compare with the great opera houses of the world. As I don't have Covent Garden and Vienna close by, I have to content myself with the local company. One of the big strengths of the WA Opera is is set design. I have been to a number of shows where the sets just take your breath away and are as good as any anywhere in the world. Alas 'Tosca's' set was a drab, tatty room that stayed the same throughout all 3 Acts.
Unfortunately the set set the tone of the performance. The Director said that he wanted to make the performance stark and dramatic and litter the stage with bodies. He certainly did that.The actors were in drab modern dress so there was nothing uplifting to look at. The tenor who played Cavaradossi was half way decent but when you are used to hearing arias sung by Pavarotti and Domingo (do I sound a music snob?) nothing else comes close.
Scarpia did a very good job of being a nasty piece of work intent on having his wicked way with Tosca, which he almost did in full view of the audience. I didn't like that it was all too sordid. The relationship between Scarpia and Tosca was all animal lust and there was nothing of the sexual tension that I have seen in other performances.
After the killing of Scarpia (done in full view of his 2 lieutenants who were pretending not to be there?) the direction lost all credibility. Cavaradossi was lying on the floor and yet we had to believe he was at his execution. Tosca, still in her underwear, was giving him his instructions. We had to believe she loved him even though the two of them had stood side by side woodenly declaring their passion a moment before. The whole scenario just did not work.
Tosca is such a beautiful opera and yet this performance made it into something dirty and squalid. Such a shame and I was so disappointed I didn't want to clap. There must have been others who felt the same way as the applause didn't last long at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment